My Food Philosophy

It starts with realizing your connection with the Earth. The earth will always provide you with the food that you need. Whole food in its purest form. Not chemically laden formulas disguised as food. You will begin to appreciate the people who grow the food. You will not settle for a fruit or vegetable that was grown in the most clean way possible. Because, you see, the energy from these foods becomes a part of you when you ingest it. It's all about conscious eating. Being aware of not only what you put in your mouth but where is comes from. I choose to live a plant based and gluten free lifestyle. This blog is an evolution of sorts. It starts with my dedication to using whole foods and moves into my dedication to a plant based cooking lifestyle. All those recipes you didn't think you could have eating the way I do....Bon Appetite
For more information on plant based wellness, please visit my website at www.pranaholisticwellness.com

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Comfort Food Sunday



I had a weird day on Sunday. Actually all weekend. I was craving something, but I wasn't sure what it was that I was craving. I needed comfort food but, for me, that isn't mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese. So, here is what I ended up with....apple cider donuts and Grandma Kartos' pizza buns. 
The kids were so excited about the afternoon donuts. I got the recipe off of pinerest. Here is the link:
http://seeminglygreek.com/2011/09/apple-fritters/
So good. I also put pears in the batter along with the apples. The possibilities of these are endless...pineapple/coconut, cherry/chocolate... I dipped mine in sugar or glaze. I prefer sugar, kids prefer glaze...either way, they are so good!

The second comfort food I made was pizza buns. My grandma started making these when I was little. The recipe was quickly learned by my mom and all my aunts. It was always the "special" food I chose for sleepovers. The name is very deceiving...they taste nothing like pizza and have no pizza ingrediants in them. So, who knows? I don't wanna freak everyone out, but these have spam in them! As a child
of the 80s I have had my fair share of spam sandwiches and I actually don't mind the taste of it. If it freaks you out, don't worry...with all the ingrediants, you don't even taste the spam.

Grandma Kartos' Pizza Buns
(my version)

1 lb. ground turkey thigh
1 can of low fat/low sodium spam shredded
1 can of tomato soup
1/2 bag of cheddar cheese
1 package of hamburger buns

Fry turkey, after it is cooked and grease is drained, add the rest of the ingrediants to the bowl. Put
in fridge until you are ready to assemble buns. For assembly, open hamburger bun, so you have a top and a bottom. Spread a generous portion of hamburger mixture on one side of each bun. Assemble until
you have a sheet pan full of buns.  Put them in over on 375 for 15 minutes or until bubbly. I can't even
explain how good these are. They are a childhood favorite and they sure were a good comfort food for me. My fam loves them and I hope someday my kids will make them for their kids to carry on the
recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment